ISS and BMC?

The Behavior Management Center (BMC) and In School Suspension (ISS) are for students who behave inappropriately and need discipline to reinforce correct behavior.

Mr. Seth Gunter, ISS teacher, said, “Usually between five and eight kids come to BMC in a week. Some weeks are larger and some are smaller.”

He said, “I usually have an equal amount of boys and girls in the BMC/ISS classroom. ISS is important because it allows students to still do their classwork and and not receive zeros. ISS is for the students’ benefit; they understand the consequences to their actions but are afforded the ability to not fall behind in class. However, Out of School Suspension (OSS) results in failing grades because they can not make up texts and quizzes.”

Mr. Gunter says he likes his job as a BMC/ISS teacher.

Mr. Gunter said, “My job isn’t really easy; at times the larger the group the more difficult it can get. Trying to communicate with each teacher when a student has ISS, collect work, and ensure that everything is turned back in to the teachers can get confusing. Each student has four teachers; if you just have five kids then that equals at least twenty separate assignments. I need to remember who has what, what they are allowed to keep, and what has to be turned in.”

He said, “The hardest part of my job is keeping up with not only the students and their work but also handling the referrals that go to the administration. The easiest part of my job is the end of the day.”

Mr. Gunter said, “ISS is fairly simple: show up on time and keep your phone in your pocket. Those are the two largest issues. In the first two six weeks this year, nearly 50% of all referrals were due to these two problems.

“Most BMC problems result in disrespect [to a teacher or class] or not wanting to work. To me it makes more sense to sit down, be quiet, and do your work rather than come to BMC where doing the same thing results in three days of ISS.”