Stay Healthy during this Flu Season

The flu assailed Chatham High School faculty and student body this winter season.

There has been a noticeable increase in absences since the flu has struck Chatham High school. “Probably about five [students] a day have been absent with confirmation of having the flu,” said Ms. Katie Hall, attendance clerk.

CHS nurse, Mrs. Mary East, said, “It [the flu] is a virus, and it’s more prevalent in the winter. It likes a cold environment and low humidity.”

“The flu, better known as Influenza, is a virus. There are three strands of the flu:  A, B, and C. Type A is the most severe and harmful.  Type B is less severe, but it can still causes some of the same catastrophic effects as A. Lastly, C is the less severe strand and does not cause epidemics quite like the others do,” according to Web MD.

Nurse East explained how to know if a person has the flu:  “It starts with a bad headache, strikes a fever, fatigue, body aches, and a bad cough that may linger for weeks.”

There are many ways to help treat the flu. Nurse East said, “It cannot be cured; you can manage it with rest and over-the-counter medicine and go to your doctor. They may prescribe Tamiflu.”

There are a few precautionary measures you can take to prevent from being infected. “The best advice is to wash your hands frequently and get your flu shot and try to stay away from sick people,” said Nurse East.

“Yes, I am exposed to the flu more than most,  but I try to take as many precautions as I can,” she said.

The flu can be a deadly disease so follow these simple guidelines and have a safe and healthy season!