• November 13"There is always something to be thankful for."

• October 26"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

• September 27"Always salt your pasta while boiling it"

How can we make our school safer?

CHS students are concerned by the recent school shooting in Florida that claimed the lives of seventeen young people. The subject of school safety has been a topic of conversation. The question everyone is asking is, “How can we make our school safer?”

CHS students realize that this could happen at our school.

Students nationwide feel compelled to make a change before another school becomes the victim.The students at CHS have something to say about how they feel throughout the school day.

Cori Ayers, freshman, said, “I do not feel safe because I don’t trust people here. Our lock-down procedure doesn’t make sense. It would make me feel safer if the teachers carried guns so they could defend us. Kids bully each other and that is what causes these disasters. If we had a safer environment people, would never even think these rash thoughts.”

Will Gammon, junior, made an interesting point. He said, “I do feel safe because of our school officer. The person who would be shooting at us would know where all the kids were because they have most likely been through a lock-down themselves. The shooting in Florida was horrible, and I can’t begin to imagine what it would be like.”

Hannah Wyatt and Madelyn Saunders, freshmen, said, “We don’t feel safe because half of the teachers don’t keep their doors locked. The lock-down procedure can not function effectively; no one takes them seriously. If the teachers kept their doors locked, and we had more officers we would feel much safer. The shooting in Florida should never had happened. The people shooting have conflicts with people inside the building.”

Many students around the nation are outraged and plan to take action.

“They’re taking matters into their own hands and advocating for stricter gun control laws and more mental health resources for treating troubled peers. At the end of last week, calls to action — from walkouts to marches on Washington — spread on social media. Students who survived the Florida school shooting prepared to flood the Capitol Wednesday pushing to ban the assault-style rifle used to kill 17 people, vowing to make changes in the November election if they can’t persuade lawmakers to change laws before their legislative session ends,” according to Time magazine.

“Yes, I do feel safe,” Xavier Johnson, sophomore, stated, “but after hearing about the shooting, I’m not sure if our lock-down procedure is effective.”

“Cyber-bullying can cause people to want to hurt the ones who hurt them,” said Blaine Adkerson.

Blaine Adkerson and Callie Dahm said, “We should use our school IDs to be let in the school, and to prove that you are a current student.

Nick Mitchell, senior, said, “We have the buzzer at the main entrance of the school; visitors have to actually be buzzed in, in order to get inside. If someone is determined to shoot up a school, there is nothing really to stop them unless you have armed people at every entrance. I personally feel safe at CHS because I think we have good safety precautions in place at Pittsylvania County Schools.”

“The school administration is working on new times to do lock-downs so we will be prepared in any situation. Chatham High School is the only school in the county that has practiced lock-down procedures during lunch. We also have a zero tolerance for bullying to make sure every student should be able to feel safe walking down these hallways,” stated Mr. Randy Foster.

How can we make our school safer?