Tech Vs. Academics

Cell phones and classroom technology greatly distracts CHS students in many ways.

Technology can be helpful. “I do vocabulary on Quizlet. A positive effect [of technology on school work] would be, if you didn’t know a math formula you could look it up online, but it can distract you from your school work” Lacey Newton, freshman, said.

“I would have to say I spend the most time on social media. I’m on YouTube a lot,” Jonathan Myers admits. “I get on my phone [before I do my homework], definitely. If I’m not on technology, though, I’m transcribing music. I feel like technology could either lead to the next generation of technological inventors, or it could make us all into idiots. It makes students too addicted.”

“I start on my homework first,” Ahmad Walker says. “It takes me two to three minutes to finish. Then I get on my phone and television and stuff. My friends distract me more than my phone to be truthful. [Technology] makes you less worried about school work.”

“[Technology] can keep students from paying attention, and it can affect their grades negatively. But I can use the Internet for resources, and it helps me get the job done in less time,” claims Ms. Jordan Dallas, math teacher.

“[Technology] should be used to enhance learning, not replace it,” said Kimberly Bolling, family and consumer science teacher. “It makes it more time efficient, especially for large classes. It gives different aspects of learning and can be used to clarify points. But it desensitizes you to human interaction of learning. People don’t listen anymore. It has weakened the listening skills of everyone.”

“Technology is like any other tool. You can use it constructively, or it can be used improperly, and it becomes a distraction,” Mr. Gary Poindexter, science teacher, says. “I think it provides a great way to present information to students in a way they can relate to. [However], it greatly decreases the amount and quality of learning because it leads to a lot of time off-task and diverts attention to everything except the matter at hand.”

“We have online math and reading programs for areas of weakness. A positive would be that [technology] gives [students] more resources and opportunities. A negative would be that it is removing the person to person contact,” Mrs. Amanda Smotherman, SPED teacher, said.

“I think technology, when used correctly, can help academic performance,” Mr. Brian Harrold, math teacher, said. “I use technology for my statistics class and it benefits them awesomely due to use of large numbers. The ease of access of resources [is a positive]. [A negative is] the over-reliance of calculators, computers, and cellphones.”

“I think it can go both ways. You can use it to make [class] more interesting and for more feedback. The other thing is that it can be distracting,” Mrs. Katie Church, math teacher, said.