Teen Suicide Prevention

Teen suicide rates are rapidly increasing.

Students at Chatham High School are not immune from the threat of suicide.

There are always people in Chatham High School willing to help.

According to Youth.gov, “Suicide is the second leading cause of death among youth age 15-24. Approximately one out of every 15 high school student reports attempting suicide each year. One out of every 53 high school students reports having made a suicide attempt that was serious enough to be treated by a doctor or a nurse.”

However, these numbers are easily preventable. “Teen Suicide Is Preventable” on American Psychological Association (Apa.org) said, “Suicide is a relatively rare event and it is difficult to accurately predict which persons with these risk factors will ultimately commit suicide. However, there are some possible warning signs such as: talking about dying, recent loss, change in personality, change in behavior, change in sleeping patterns, change in eating habits, fear of losing control, [or] low self esteem.”

If someone expresses suicidal thoughts, it should not be taken lightly and should be reported immediately.

“Florence Case Praised As Good Example Of Teen Suicide Intervention” on Azcentral.com, said, “Suicide prevention experts praised the rescue of a suicidal Florence boy as a good example of what can happen when someone cries for help and friends and school administrators listen.

“Friends of a teenage boy went to school administrators on one afternoon after they received text messages from him threatening suicide. The administrators intervened, sending him for treatment after they found a Japanese comic book glorifying suicide, and a list of 10 students he wanted to harm written in a homemade journal.

“Although the incident is troubling, the intervention is a scenario that suicide prevention experts would like to see repeated more often, with suicidal people realizing there are others willing to help” the article said.

Ms. Darshe Trent, NCG counselor, advised, “[If someone were considering suicide], I would tell them to think of the positive things in life and decide if it’s worth losing, and to talk to the people they trust most.”

“Talk to an adult, like a teacher or parents. Don’t put yourself down and don’t let others hurt you. Stay positive,” said Jennie Furr, freshman.

“Suicide isn’t the answer. Sometimes you think that you’re alone, but you’re not. Think about it, if you commit suicide, you could hurt a lot more people. You may not see it, but you’re important and loved,” stated Topanga Wolf, sophomore.

“I would say that people really do love you,” said Sarah Hailey, freshman.

The number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. It is operational 24/7, and is completely confidential.