Ready Set Go

The winter sports season crossed the finish line, and spring sports such as track are now on the start line.

The 4×4 relay team were county champions at their first meet March 28 at Tunstall. Relay teammates are Macy Calhoun, Emerson Scollo, Kristen Rogers,  and Mackenzie Mitchell.

Bre Price, senior, is the county champion in female shot put.

Caleb Wright, sophomore, won the 3200 meter race by a long shot, lapping many of his opponents.

Anasia Harrell, sophomore, was the county champion in 300m hurdles.

The boys 4×8 team were county runner-ups. That team is Bret Reynolds, Caleb Wright, Carter Boon, and Ethan Dunevant.

The girls 4×8 team, Macy Calhoun, Bailey Calhoun, Summer Carlsen, and Sydney McAdams, placed second overall.

Bret Reynolds was the county runner up in the 1600m race; he hopes to clench a district championship by the end of the year.

The 4×1 half ton team, Nick Mitchell, Caleb Oaks, Ben Burton, and Caden Spaulding, placed second overall.

Freshman Kristen Rogers placed third in the 800m in her first track meet ever.

While track seems like a torturous sport, many of the track runners seem to find it fun to run.

Caleb Wright has done track for a year, and said “I enjoy track because it’s fun to run; it takes my mind off of things.” His specialty is the 3200m and his personal best is an 11:30.

Caroline Broomell has run track all three years in high school, and ran for the tree years before that. She is more of a distance runner coming from cross country, so her favorite event is the 3200m. Her personal best for a 5k is 22:11.

Sydney Mcadams was looking for something new to do her senior year, so she signed up for track. She is now a member of the girls 4×8 team, and she also dances competitively. She ran her first 4×8 meet with a 3:17, which is impressive because she kept up with some of the veteran runners.

Jacob Willis has thrown discus for track and field all four years. He said “I like throwing because I’m too fat too run.”