Tanning Booths: Feel the Burn

It’s getting close to summer, but with the crazy, endless winter-type weather, some ladies want a tan so they go to tanning booths.

SkinCancer.org states that “No matter what you may wear at tanning salons, the cumulative damage caused by UV radiation can lead to premature skin aging (wrinkles, lax skin, brown spots, and more) as well as skin cancer. In fact, people who first use a tanning bed before age thirty-five increase their risk for Melanoma by seventy-five percent.”

Some CHS students are familiar with tanning booths, and many have spent funds and hours using them.

They are willing to take a risk on cancer. Brianna Kirks, senior, said, ” I do think it’s bad, and it can be if you use it a lot. I go twice a week to the tanning booth. It works for me. I think it’s worth going.”

Olivia Sims, freshman, said, “I don’t think it’s bad if you go, there is a chance it may not work for other people but I think it’s worth going.”

Abagail Giles, freshman, said, “I don’t think it’s bad for me. I go twice a week. It works for me. I think it’s worth going.”

Taylor Haymore, junior, said, “I don’t think it’s bad for me. I do go but I often go twice or every other week. It works for me.  I think it’s worth going.”

However, some CHS students feel it is a waste of time and think it is dangerous to go to a tanning booth.

Kaniyah Moore, junior, said, “I think tanning booths are bad. I don’t go to the tanning booths. It does not work for me because I use the sun. I feel like it not worth going, but to others it’s worth going.”

Amber Mitchell, junior, said, “I think tanning booths are a waste of time and money. I do not go because it is dangerous, and I don’t want cancer.”

Ben Woodard, freshman, said, “I think it’s bad for my health; you can get skin cancer. It does not work for me because I don’t go. I don’t think it’s worth going because it can danger your life.”

Sherry Mae- McAlister, freshman, said, “I think it’s bad for people’s health; I don’t use them. When I went one time it didn’t work. I feel like it’s not worth going because I don’t want to get cancer.”

Eddie Collins, senior, said, “I feel like tanning booths are bad for females. I don’t go because I don’t want a tan. I like my skin color. I don’t feel like it should be worth going for females; like why can’t they wait for the sun to come out?”