Wild Excuses

Students have many excuses up their sleeves when it comes to late assignments, and the teachers at Chatham High School have heard a variety of wild ones.

“One time, I had a student whose house had been repossessed by the bank. It was a mobile trailer, and when she got off of the bus, her house was literally gone. The principal emailed me and told me to give her a two day extension on all of her assignments,” shared Michael Brown, foreign language teacher.

“One kid said a hurricane hit their car and totaled it, which destroyed their homework,” said Daniel Rogers, physical education teacher.

“Someone told me that they couldn’t turn in their homework because they had open heart surgery at the beginning of the week. They were there that day though,” said Melissa Motley, English teacher.

“I’ve gotten, ‘I’m allergic to homework’, and ‘I didn’t have a calculator’, even though they have one on their phone. ‘I had to go to a sports meet’ which doesn’t work because I’m a coach, and I do work on the bus all the time,” said Kimberly Smoot, mathematics teacher.

Some students have even went as far as to bring in “evidence” to help plead their case.

“A student once told me a dog ate their homework, and they brought the slobbery shards of paper in to class to show me,” said Elizabeth Boatwright, English teacher.

“It was my first year I was here. A kid walks in, in March [to return a book.] They said, ´I checked this out when that old dude was here,'” shared Jo Davis, librarian.

A few teachers are pretty flexible, and rarely get any excuses.

“[A student claimed] they didn’t understand my rules. My rules were that there are no late assignments. They thought that meant that [if they were absent] they couldn’t turn it in when they got back,” R.J. Clayton, career academy teacher.

“I don’t get excuses. I’m flexible on my late work,” said Brian Harrold, statistics teach.

“I’ve been teaching for fifteen years. I’ve probably had several [excuses] over the years. The thing is, I don’t remember any that stands out,” said Gary Poindexter, advanced earth science teacher.