Sign Up: Get Your Flu Shot!

Flu season has begun.

The Virginia Department of Health will offer flu shots for CHS students on Thurs., Nov. 8, from 9 AM- 11:30 AM in the auditorium.

Shots will be given at Chatham Middle School on Thurs., Oct. 18, at 11 AM- 5 PM.

All students who want to get the flu shot should turn in the permission form as soon as possible. They may also turn in the form on the morning of the flu shot.

Students may pick up forms from the main office at CHS. They may also see Nurse Mary East for any questions about the flu shot.

Nurse East recommends that all students get the flu shot. “We encourage them to get this shot, so that way, they can prevent themselves from getting the flu this school year,” she said. “So far, there have been zero students diagnosed with the flu this school year.”

The Centers for Disease Control address the issues of protecting oneself from the flu and the concern of getting the flu after the vaccination.

“Protective Actions

“What should I do to protect myself from flu this season?

“CDC recommends a yearly flu vaccine for everyone 6 months of age and older as the first and most important step in protecting against this serious disease.

“In addition to getting a seasonal flu vaccine, you can take everyday preventive actions like staying away from sick people and washing your hands to reduce the spread of germs. If you are sick with flu, stay home from work or school to prevent spreading flu to others. In addition, there are prescription medications called antiviral drugs that can be used to treat influenza illness.

“Can I get vaccinated and still get the flu?

“Yes. It’s possible to get sick with flu even if you have been vaccinated (although you won’t know for sure unless you get a flu test). This is possible for the following reasons:

• You may be exposed to a flu virus shortly before getting vaccinated or during the period that it takes the body to gain protection after getting vaccinated. This exposure may result in you becoming ill with flu before the vaccine begins to protect you. (Antibodies that provide protection develop in the body about 2 weeks after vaccination.)
  • You may be exposed to a flu virus that is not included in the seasonal flu vaccine. There are many different flu viruses that circulate every year. A flu vaccine is made to protect against the three or four flu viruses that research suggests will be most common.
  • Unfortunately, some people can become infected with a flu virus a flu vaccine is designed to protect against, despite getting vaccinated. Protection provided by flu vaccination can vary widely, based in part on health and age factors of the person getting vaccinated. In general, a flu vaccine works best among healthy younger adults and older children. Some older people and people with certain chronic illnesses may develop less immunity after vaccination. Flu vaccination is not a perfect tool, but it is the best way to protect against flu infection.”

“I don’t have side effects from the flu shot; it feels great to not get the flu,” said Tony Scolpini, senior.