• November 13"There is always something to be thankful for."

• October 26"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

• September 27"Always salt your pasta while boiling it"

Filed under fun, Sports, Student Life

Chatham Sports Week 7 and 8

Matthew Arnold is Chatham High School’s newest State Champion golfer.

The golf team finished fifth in Regions by shooting a 344 on 18 holes. Matthew Arnold shot a 77 and made the All-Regional Team and qualified for States. Jacob Holley shot a 78 and also qualified for States. Tanner Merricks shot a 94 and Grant Reynolds shot a 95.

This past week, Matthew Arnold and Jacob Holley headed to Lonesome Pine Country Club in Big Stone Gap and brought home another State title. Matthew shot a 73, tying with Austin Schlobohm, a senior from Union High School. The two played a playoff hole: whomever shot the lowest score would win state champion. Matthew shot a bogey to win the tournament as a single player.

The volleyball team had a busy week this week.

JV beat Altavista at home on Oct. 1: 25-16, 25-18. Varsity lost at home in four sets: 25-17, 23-25, 17-25, 20-25.

Both teams traveled t0 William Campbell on Oct. 2, and beat them on their own territory with clean sweeps. J.V. scores were 25-5, 25-10 and Varsity’s scores were 25-12, 25-15, 25-9.

This year’s Pink Out game was against Gretna. Both teams lost, but they played for a good cause. All proceeds from the game went to a local cancer research program. At the beginning of the game, all of those with breast cancer or other type of cancer were recognized and given a rose. JV lost both sets: 16-25, 22-25. Varsity played five sets and won two: 25-21, 14-25, 16-25, 25-16, 8-15.

The volleyball teams headed to Appomattox on Oct. 9. JV played a close game winning two out of three sets: 24-26, 25-19, 15-13. Varsity lost all three sets: 29-31, 14-25, 14-25.

The girls’ cross country team finished first at William Campbell.

Caroline Broomell, Savannah Carlsen, Mary Augusta Paris, Patience Turner, and Makailla Davis all finished in the top 15.

The Cavalier football team lost to Appomattox at home 63-14. Ethan Reynolds went 15-31 with 194 yards and two touchdowns. Hunter Furr had 10 catches for 130 yards and two touchdowns. The leading rusher was Tyshun Mingle. Trevor Crowder, Caleb Oakes, and Nick Williams had five pancake blocks. On the defensive side of the ball Tyshun Mingle had eight tackles and one sack; Bradley Giles had six tackles including one sack and a forced fumble; and Kamden Lewis had six tackles and a fumble recovery.

The Cavaliers faced off against the Dan River Wildcats Saturday night for Chatham’s homecoming game. The Cavaliers lost 34-18. Ethan Reynolds was 12-30 for 151 yards; he had one passing touchdown and rushed one in himself. Hunter Furr and Tyshun Mingle both had one touchdown.

This years homecoming representatives for this years freshman class include: Anne Oakes, Jacob Doss, Austin Elliot, and Nysheia Miller

Sophomore representatives were: Carolive Vicks, Kaleb Moore, Abbie Giles, and David Oakes

Junior representatives were: Sage Crider, Brae Adkins, Ethan Reynolds, and Lindsey Mitchell

Senior representatives include: Brooke Austin, Graham Dalton, Kennedy Cassell, Taylor Moore, Sarah Weiss, Hunter Adkins, Kay Lightfoot, and Hunter Furr.

Hunter Adkins and Sarah Weiss are CHS’s 2018 homecoming prince and princess.

Hunter Furr and Kay Lightfoot were crowned 2018 homecoming king and queen.

Morgan Gay, Sports Editor

Morgan is a tenth grader at CHS. She enjoys dancing. After high school she plans on going to Virginia Tech to get a major in communications...

Chatham Sports Week 7 and 8