• November 13"There is always something to be thankful for."

• October 26"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

• September 27"Always salt your pasta while boiling it"

Filed under Academics, Student Life

Mrs. Holmes Joins CHS Faculty

Mrs. Barbara Holmes is our new Family and Consumer Science teacher this year.

Mrs. Holmes said, ¨This is my 27th year teaching, and I have enjoyed every year.¨

“This first semester I am teaching independent living to all my students; next semester I will add life planning.”

The process of moving from the middle school was not a easy process.

Mrs. Holmes explained, ¨There were a lot of things to transfer, and I had to adjust mentally to teaching older students after decades of teaching younger ones.¨

¨Going from teaching for 45 minutes at the middle school to teaching 90 minutes at the high school is the main difference I’ve noticed so far,¨ Mrs. Holmes said. ¨A minor difference is how I have students from all grade levels in one class at the high school.

¨When teaching at the middle school, I loved introducing the students to new topics because they do not have any classes like this at the elementary school level. Now at the high school, I can teach the classes more in depth,” she said.

“The classes that I teach are directly related to everyday living. All my students are consumers, and they are learning about families, food, money, and homes; all of which are a big help with daily living,” she said.

Many CHS students take at least a FACS class.

Mrs. Holmes said, ¨As in anything, I think some of the students enjoy my classes. I know all of them enjoy when we get into the kitchen, because they all love food.¨

Mrs. Holmes is married to JA Holmes, a businessman in Chatham. She has two grown sons, both graduates of CHS.

Welcome to CHS, Mrs. Holmes!

Mrs. Holmes Joins CHS Faculty