• November 13"There is always something to be thankful for."

• October 26"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

• September 27"Always salt your pasta while boiling it"

Juuls at school

Juuling among high school students is widespread and on the rise.

Juuling is inhaling liquid nicotine through a device.

Juul pods contain nicotine equal to a pack of cigarettes or 200 puffs of a cigarette. A juul is an electronic cigarette that was initially promoted as a substitute to help smokers become non-smokers.

Statistics show that teenagers are using juuls at an alarming rate. Research shows that teens are influenced by their peers to be cool and juul with their friends.

Juuls have a terrible impact on young adults and teenagers. They are supposed to be an alternative for smoking cigarettes, but young people use them and become addicted because of the high nicotine content.

According to an article in the American Journal of Pediatric Medicine by Bunnell England, “‘juuling’ is now very common at teenage hangouts and even at school. Medical professionals are very concerned because the juul delivers higher concentrations of nicotine than other e-cigarettes. Not only is nicotine highly addictive, but it is also toxic to fetuses and is known to impair brain and lung development if used during adolescence. It is not replacing cigarette smoking but rather encouraging it: A 2017 study found that non-smoking adults were four times more likely to start smoking traditional cigarettes after only 18 months of vaping, which includes ‘juuling.'”

The Boston Globe said “Juuling is the most widespread phenomenon you’ve likely never heard of.”

Juul pods contain the nicotine to be inhaled and come in many flavors like tobacco, mango, mint, creme brulee, and cucumber.

According to some research, E-cigarettes are less dangerous but can still cause harm and damage to the body.

CHS students admit to juuling, but they also admit that it’s an expensive habit that can land one in deep trouble. Students did not want to be identified because tobacco products of any kind are forbidden on campus; the students who spoke about this topic are identified as Anonymous. Anonymous One says “I think the price of juuls are way too expensive for me buy one.”

Some students have found that juuling helped them stop smoking, but they did not mention the negative effects that juuling now causes. Anonymous Three said, “Juuling has helped me out a lot with not smoking cigarettes.”

Still others admit that they sneak and use juuls during class. The juul is very small and easy to conceal. Anonymous Two says “Yes, I juul in class because its easy to get away with, and it helps me focus.” If a student is caught, they are suspended for five days per offense.

Anonymous Four  said,  “I do not juul in class because I do not want to get in trouble and suspended.”

Hope Reamey, Feature Editor

Hope is a senior at CHS. She enjoys playing softball. After high school she plans on attending DCC then a four year university. She hopes to become...

Juuls at school