Ghosting creates hurt among teens

CHS teens who are in romantic relationships are wary of ghosting

Ghosting, according to Google, is “the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication.” 

Some of our students have experienced ghosting. “I believe ghosting is wrong and inhumane. It creates drama and hurt to yourself and the person you were talking to,” said Alyssa Nelson, junior.

Some students were unsure of the meaning, but once they knew the term, they admitted it had happened to them. “I have never had to ghost someone, but I have had it done to me many times. It hurts to be lied to and feel like you have done everything wrong in the relationship,” said Naomi Moore, sophomore.

Technology can be harsh on relationships. “Technology has made ghosting worse because it [the breakup] really has no face-to-face contact involved,” said Alyssa Terry, freshman. A person can be in a relationship, and that relationship can end with zero conversation.

“Ghosting would truly hurt me in many ways because I would feel like I am losing someone close to me,” said Kayleigh Terry, freshman.

However difficult it may be, ghosting can be something that a person needs to move on from in a timely manner. “I would move forward from ghosting by hanging out with my friends to get my mind off of things that hurt me,” said Cody Snow, freshman.

Ghosting not only affects romantic relationships but can affect friendships, too. “Ghosting affects both relationships and friendships because you could be losing both at the same time,” said Alyssa Nelson, junior.

The other side of ghosting is stalking.  “I believe that ghosting is not considered stalking in any way because they can always be your friend even at the end of the relationship,” said Naomi Moore, sophomore.