Widespread Debate Over Cell Phone Policy at CHS

The predominant thought is that students are uniformly unhappy over cell phone policies instituted by the county for all schools.

Some readers actually may be surprised to find there is actually a diverse spectrum of thoughts on the school policy.

The most controversial, and to some, troublesome, policy is the no-tolerance policy.

The no-tolerance policy means that if the cell phone is used, seen, or heard, the owner will sit in ISS for three days for the first offense.

According to the handbook, the policy has been mandated for over a decade to eliminate distractions and protect the safety of the students. 

Opinions among students vary widely as to preference. Some say keep the current policy; others argue that it should be altered.

Aly Taylor, senior, said, “We should have them [our phones] during lunch. I also do not think that a phone going off in class should be punishable. However, the policy really does not affect me at all. Lunch and between classes would be good, but overall, it really doesn’t affect me. Teachers are able to have theirs, and the school day is so long which, in my opinion, should warrant an alternative policy.”

Faculty member Jack Turner said “The policy is useful because it does not interrupt instructional time.”

Chancity Wilson revealed it how the policy affects her, she said, “It’s very stressful, but I agree with a policy that would allow us to have our phones during breaks and lunch.”

Another student, Ramsey Ferrugia, was adamant in her opposition towards the policy. “I believe that the policy was not as efficient as it was initially designed to be. It negatively affects my mood during school; it makes me anxious to not have my phone, and it makes me eager to get out of school. In my opinion, the best option to eliminate this issue would be to modify the policy.”