Sentimental Seniors: The Final Chapter

Seniors are in the final countdown of their last semester of high school.

Only four more months to go, and the clock is ticking.

The class of 2023 has worked extremely hard to get to the level they are at, and it has finally paid off.

“It’s crazy to think that we were just in middle school and now we’re about to graduate. It took a lot of time and hard work, but I’m happy we made it,” said Tiyara Fitzgerald, senior.

The students had goals that they wanted to accomplish throughout their high school years.

“My main goal was to pass my classes,” said Kierra Price, senior.

According to a student survey, 70% of the students rated their overall high school experience from ninth to twelfth grade above a five with ten being the greatest.

Although, many students had a good experience, they would all agree that it got cut short.

With the end ninth grade getting cut short with a few weeks left and tenth grade getting cut out completely due to the pandemic, students lost a great chunk of their supposed high school experience.

“I would describe my high school experience as incomplete. My sophomore year got cut short on the account of Covid-19. Although it feels incomplete I wouldn’t change it nor do I regret anything that happened during my highschool years because I had an amazing time with friends that I have had since middle school,” said Amondria Harris, senior. 

The seniors recalled a lot of memorable things that has occurred throughout high school.

“The pep rally, homecoming, and sports were all very memorable to me. Those were the parts of school that I enjoyed. However, the passing of Joshlyn and Charlie was very hard for us seniors, because we’re all one big family. No one saw it coming,” said Kendell Sanders, senior.

With the semester coming to an end and graduation slowly approaching, the class of 2023 developed a bad case of senioritis.

Senioritis is a common affliction describing the lack of motivation felt by students who are reaching the end of their courses.

Fortunately, the seniors are still pushing through the semester.

May is quickly approaching and the last few weeks are closing in.

“It’s very bittersweet, because we’re ready to go on and see the world, but then we also don’t want to go. We have created a lot of memories here that many of us are just not ready to let go of just yet,” said Trinity Brooks, senior.

High school has been a remarkable journey for the seniors.