The Lady Cavaliers Slaughter The Lady Hawks

The Chatham Lady Cavaliers defeated the Gretna Hawks.

The Lady Cavs scored 15-1 in five innings.  The Lady Hawks struggled to play offense to the Chatham Cavaliers, giving up 15 runs.  The Cavaliers scored two runs due to throwing errors in the first inning.

The Hawks scored a run in the first inning due to a throwing error as well, but that was the only run the Hawks scored. The Lady Cavaliers were not finished, as they scored five runs in the fifth inning to end the game.

The pitcher, Cora Liggon, sophomore, held the Hawks to one run, two hits, and struck out eight batters while only walking one.

Lady Hawk, Marihlyn East, tries to get a Lady Cavalier out at third base. The player was called safe. Photo by Ellen Moorefield.

Freshman Alyssa Keesee got put in to pitch for the Lady Hawks; the Cavaliers gave her a hard time on the mound as she surrendered 10 runs on eight hits over three innings.

Junior Haley Walker came to the mound and threw the last two innings. The Cavaliers also had their way on the field, as they stole eight bases.

“Going into this game with my team was very wonderful; all of our minds came together,” said sophomore Heidi Tosh.
“The team was very picky at the plate but managed to put the ball in play when needed,” said freshman Maddie Sharp.
“Overall, we played this game extremely well, and we were very proud of one another,” said junior Trinity Custer.