Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

How Long Should You Be Sleeping?

Many teens and faculty don’t get enough sleep and experience negative side effects of this.

“I believe most students get six to seven hours of sleep a night, but they should  be getting eight to nine to receive the most personal gain,” Mr. Clayton, ISS department, said.

A scientific study done by the Center for Disease Control shows that teenagers 13-18 should receive eight to ten hours of sleep a night.

“Most of the time I get six hours of sleep a night. The main thing that stops me from sleeping at night is winding down once I get home and before bed,” Coach Hall, Gym teacher, said.

Another study done by the CDC says adults aged 18-60 should be getting seven hours of sleep.

“On a regular night, I receive eight hours of sleep and my diffuser helps me sleep best,” Coach Marcus Clements, wrestling coach said.

“I normally get four to six hours of sleep a night and watching TV or reading typically helps me fall asleep; it just depends,” Mrs. Angela Andrepont, assistant principal, said.

” I normally get five hours of sleep a night. One thing that helps me to fall asleep better at night is being on the phone,” Emma Buchanan, freshman, said.

“One thing that keeps my mind racing and awake at night is the fear of either not achieving or underachieving in life and meeting goals I have set for my life,” Jake Kittrell, sophomore, said.

“I typically get around 11 hours of sleep a night and the main thing that helps me sleep is being in the pitch black dark. Another thing that helps me sleep is having a fan blowing on me to keep it cool and to create white noise,” Brady Richardson, junior, said.

A study from the CDC shows that white noise can help to block out outside noises and also keep the room cool encouraging a better sleeping environment.

The CDC also says turning the clock face away can help so you won’t be tempted to continuously check the time.