Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

The Dangers of Cancel Culture

Cancel culture has become the end-all penalty when someone says or does something that can be seen as offensive and ignorant.

“I don’t think cancel culture is harmful, and I think it’s pretty reasonable to “cancel” a celebrity or influencer when they say something offensive to a group of people or topic if they deserve it,” Dixie Campbell. sophomore, said.

Some people don’t agree with the idea of cancel culture.

“I think it can be harmful; Because everyone says things that can be offensive, and by putting celebrities and influencers on a pedestal, holding them higher than the average person who doesn’t have to worry about being shunned for their opinion, that you are essentially dehumanizing celebrities,” Jennifer Pullium, freshman, said. “Cancel culture can take away their humanity, and their right to make mistakes, and cancel culture doesn’t allow an opportunity to learn and grow from their mistakes.”

Some people stand in the middle of the argument.

“I would say yes, it is harmful to some degree, but it depends on the severity of what they did. If it’s anywhere from saying something to having their own opinions, I think it’s wrong,” Emma Foster, sophomore, said. “But if one were to do something that is harmful to others or themselves, I wouldn’t say that it’s okay to push them away from publicity or their jobs, but to instead help them to be better.”