Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

School Lunch or Packed Lunch?

Students at CHS are able to eat free lunch at school or pack a lunch from home each day.

Mason Harmon is sipping on the chocolate milk provided with the school lunch.

Some eat school lunch because they are not able to pack their own in the mornings.

“Honestly, I eat school lunch because most mornings I’m running late and don’t have time to pack lunch,” Isabel Erin, sophomore, said.

“I used to pack my lunch, but I just don’t feel like it anymore, so school lunch will do,” Khamari Robinson, junior, said.

“I eat school lunch because I forget to bring snacks most of the time, and it’s just easier to go get school lunch,” Naomi Davis, freshman, said.

“I eat school lunch because it’s easier than bringing packed lunch every day,” Jacobi Bradner, freshman, said.

“I eat school lunch sadly because I’m too lazy to pack my lunch in the morning,” Kevin Argueta, freshman, said.

“I don’t pack lunch because I don’t have time,” Eli Kazmier, junior, said.

Makayla Lewis, freshman, is ready to enjoy the salad with the school lunch.

Others eat school lunch because it is free.

“I eat school lunch,” Karlee Sims, freshman, said. “It’s just easier to do, and the lunch is free; if it’s for free, it’s for me.”

“I eat school lunch because it’s free, but before it was free, I brought my own lunch, and if school lunch wasn’t currently free, I’d bring my lunch,” Mason Lawrence, junior, said.

Many choose to pack a lunch box because they are not fond of the school lunch options.

“I bring a lunch box because I’m picky,” Savannah Morris, junior, said.

“I pack a lunch box because the school food sucks,” Aaron Riley, freshman, said.

“I bring a lunch box because school food isn’t good,” Kinslee Cassell, freshman, said.

“I bring a lunch box because the food isn’t that pleasing to me,” MarKayla Mayo, freshman, said. “I know it’s supposed to be healthy, but it’s too healthy. We’re still teenagers.”

“I pack a lunch box because school food sucks, and I can choose what I want if I bring it,” Rebekah Appleton, freshman, said.

“I pack a lunch box because the school food is nasty,” James Elliott, freshman, said.

“I bring a lunch box because I don’t like school food,” Braelyn Heath, junior, said.

“I pack a lunch box because the school food isn’t for me; it doesn’t look like I’d like it,” Alessia Cardamuro, junior, said. “Personally, it isn’t appetizing.”

Mark Aris is about to eat a grilled cheese provided by the school.

Several students bring a lunch box because they enjoy choices from their homes.

“I bring my lunch to school every day because the food isn’t the best, and I’d rather have food from home that I can choose from and is healthier,” Abigayle Woodel, sophomore, said.

“I usually bring a lunch box because school lunch isn’t the best, and I can pack anything I want when I bring it from home,” Heidi Tosh, junior, said.

Kinslee Cassell’s lunch box contains a bag of Orville Redenbacher popcorn.

“I bring a lunch box, so I can eat tacos made at home,” Samuel Rodriguez, sophomore, said.

The choice to bring a lunch box differs for some, depending on what is being served for lunch.

“I bring a lunch box on only Friday because I hate pizza,” Marley Driggers, freshman, said.

“It depends on the day,” Madelyn Legge, freshman, said. “If the school food is good, then I don’t bring my lunch box. My favorite day to get school lunch is Friday.”

Dalyn Johnson bought extra food from one of his peers.

Some choose to both bring a lunch box and get food from the school.

“I bring a lunch box and eat school lunch,” Journi Bradner, sophomore, said.

“I bring a lunch box because I am a picky eater and only eat school lunch when there is chicken, but I get school lunch for my boyfriend because he eats a lot,” Lindsey Evans, junior, said.

Abigail Custer, freshman, does not eat lunch.

“I do neither,” Custer said. “I just don’t eat until before I go to practice after school.”