Chatham High School Girls Basketball Team wins District Championship

The Lady Cavs basketball team won the Dogwood District Championship against Dan River High School.

The leading scorers of the game were  Trinity Brooks, 16 points;  Quanadra Tunstall, 32 points; and Nysheia Miller, 28 points.

The last time the team won a District Championship was in 2018. The overall record for the season is 16-3, 11-0 in the district. The team was undefeated in the Dogwood District.

There was no basketball season last year due to Covid-19.

“It really didn’t affect us, but at the same time it did. We had to basically rebuild our whole team.  This season we had nine players. We had five players that came in who had never played varsity level basketball. Out of those five players, four of them never played JV basketball. The other four players on the team had all varsity experience; three of them are seniors this year. Two of the three seniors had to step up tremendously in order to lead the team all around, said Abby Totten, senior.

The biggest goal going into the game was to play Chatham basketball and never let up,” said Totten.

“I agree with Abby,” said freshman Cora Liggons.

“The biggest moment of the game was at the end of the game when the team found out that they was the Dogwood District Champions for the season,” said Delaney Haymore, freshman, and Ava Norris, freshman.

The team stayed very determined and dedicated throughout the season in order to achieve this big accomplishment.