Cell Phone Policy

Many students want the current school cell phone policy to change.

“My opinion about the cell phone policy is [that it is] ridiculous,” said Ashley White, freshman. “I think we should be able to use our phones outside of the classroom, or as long as we aren’t using them when the teacher is teaching.”

Not everyone agress. “Cellphones could open a world of problems such as cheating, bullying, and access to inappropriate websites,” said Kasey Martin, junior.

Consequences for cell phone violations are harsh according to some. “I think that the way they [school board] discipline the phone policy for students is a little too strict because if you get caught with your phone, you get three days of ISS,” said White.

“I don’t think they should be able to take our phones just because I’m using it one time,” said Jaden Breedlove, freshman.

“I don’t see a problem with students getting ISS or ASD for using their phones because people learn better from their mistakes,” said Martin. “On the other hand, I think it’s a little extreme for students to get suspended for being on their phone.”

“I feel like teachers should try and be a little more understanding if a students cell phone goes off in class when they weren’t even on it,” said Grace Stowe, freshman. “If a student forgot to turn their phone on silent they shouldn’t be punished for an accident.”

“I also strongly disagree that the teachers get to use their phones during class, and we can’t,” said White, “They are not setting good examples for their students.”

According to students they could help make learning easier. “Our phones being useful in school when we look up extra information,” said Jaeyden Thompson, freshman.

“We could also be able to use online calculators and online dictionaries,” said White.

“I think that we should be able to use our phones in case of emergencies,” said Cora Liggon, freshman.

“Instead of using our phones, we could just use the Chromebooks that our school has provided for us,” Yashua Bridgeforth, senior. “Being on your phones could be a distraction from the teacher.”