Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

CHS Tardies Are Racking up

A lot of vintage clocks of different sizes hanging on a grunge brick wall. Round and square clocks show different time. Some of the clocks have no hands. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

The amount of tardies has increased this school year.

Some students believe that the student body should change their actions to fix the problem, while others believe that the administration and faculty should work to help fix the problem.

“I think the amount of tardies is embarrassing because I don’t think we had as many [tardies] as last year,”  Autumn Cassell, junior said.

“I think the school should reward people at the end of the semester who don’t have tardies,” Naomi Davis, freshman said.

Many students agree with these points and that change is needed.

“We should stop talking to friends in the hallway in order to avoid tardiness,” Madison Meadows, junior, said.

I feel as though we need a little more time in the hallway, and they can bump it up to seven minutes and then just move class time down to 88 minutes,” Lacey Mulero, sophomore said.

This student along with others believe we should have and extended class transitioning time and a decreased class time.  

“I don’t believe the time between classes needs lengthening,” said Mrs. Janet Bishop, English department. “I would like to see clocks installed in the hallways so that students can see immediately how much time has passed. The bells help, but the clocks would be a visual reminder.”

“I want all my students to shoot for perfection although I know nothing is perfect,” Mr. Reese, principal, said. “Students whom I’ve disciplined for tardies in the past normally don’t receive them going forward,” Reese said.

“Being to class on time is a rule and when the rules are not followed it aggravates me so the tardies tend to get under my skin,” Reese said. 

“Tardies are not a school wide problem; just one that a few select group of students tend to repeatedly get, so I think the bigger group of students who don’t get tardies should demonstrate that good behavior for the smaller group,” Reese said.