Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Youth Baseball Standout

Find out more about this local little-league legend
Flick scores a run.
Flick enjoys playing catcher. (Janie Flick)

Brandon “BT” Flick, an eighth grader at Chatham Middle School, is considered by many to be outstanding in his field, when it comes to playing baseball.

BT currently plays on a Chatham youth team, and a Chatham travel team. He conditions for the junior varsity team. His  plays catcher, pitcher, and center fielder.

He always knew that he wanted to commit to playing baseball, and people saw him shine.

“I’ve been playing since I was in third grade, when I was eight. Just being around it while I was at my brother’s baseball games made me want to play,” said Flick. “Originally I started playing just to do something different, and ended up being pretty good at it.” 

Being a player and a fan are two very different things, mentally.

“Being part of a team makes me feel more socially involved. Whenever I pick up a teammate’s spirit it makes me rejoice,”  Flick said. “And it feels really good to help your team with what you offer as one person.”

A player’s ideal conditions can often affect their performance.

“My perfect day to play baseball would be in the spring, about 70 degrees, at Chatham High School field,” said Flick. 

BT said he likes CHS’s field because the grass is similar to a professional field.

“But my favorite field that I’ve ever played on in my whole career is Heritage High’s baseball field, because it’s all turf,” said Flick.

Playing with the same people for years can strike long-lasting friendships that are on a deeper level.

“If I had to be stuck on an island with one team-mate, I would want to be with Culter Paris,” Flick said. “He’s just a really good person at heart, and he’s played with me since the beginning.”

Flick’s favorite team is the Chicago Cubs. 

“My favorite MLB player is Bryce Harper, the Phillies’ first baseman and designated hitter. He really reminds me of myself, and he’s got nice hair, so he’s basically me,” Flick said.

“Honestly, I know that I need to improve on making more contact with the ball and gaining more physical control as a pitcher,” said Flick. “But I am 99.9% sure that when tryouts come around, I will make the JV team.”

“If I didn’t have baseball in my life, I definitely would be a different person; And if baseball ever got taken away from me; I would literally die.” Flick said.