Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Glasses vs. Contacts

What the students and staff at CHS prefer
    Closeup portrait of a smiling young student woman wearing transparent eyeglasses standing next to the college campus and carrying lots of books and folders on a sunny day. (iuricazac – stock.adobe.com)

High school students often have to choose between contact lenses and eye glasses.

“Around one-fourth of the student body wears eye correction lenses,” Mrs. Mary East, school nurse said. ““I prefer my glasses because I have dry eyes and can’t wear contacts.”

Everyone who needs corrective lenses has preferences regarding glasses or contacts.

“I prefer my contacts; I think I look better without glasses,” Kristan Ross, a graduate, said.

But glasses and contacts each have their own pros and cons. “A pro is that they enhance my vision, but some cons are that they’re easy to smudge, breakable, and expensive,” East said.

“Some pros to contacts are that they don’t get dirty like glasses do, and are more manageable. And some cons are that I have to touch my eye to get them in, and I use disposable ones, so if I run out I have to wait for more to get delivered to me,” Ross said.

If they could switch their eyewear, would they? “Yeah, probably,” East said. 

“No, I wouldn’t,” Ross said.

Glasses and contacts can be expensive, especially if you don’t have insurance. What are the opinions on the prices of eye-wear today? “My glasses are really expensive, and if they break, I have to buy new ones, which might cost even more,” East said.

“I get why they’re expensive; So many people need vision correcting lenses, but contacts and glasses have become way too expensive, so a lot of people who need them don’t get them because they can be unaffordable,” Ross said.