Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Hippology at the State Fair

Find out how the first contest of the 2023-24 school year went

Pittsylvania County High Schools competed recently in a statewide hippology competition; Gretna High School came in first place.

Chatham High School placed twelfth with a score of 565.

The 2023 State Fair of Virginia in Doswell hosted the event recently.

Chatham competed against 43 other Virginia teams at the 4-H and FFA event.

Although Chatham didn’t bring home a ribbon,  Gretna High School came in first with 635 points.

Hippology team pictured from left to right: Abigayle Sexton (senior), Mary Ross (junior), Annabella Autry (senior), Ashton Flick (sophomore)

Abigayle Sexton, senior, ranked 11th with 214 points, Annabella Autry seventieth with 180 points, Mary Ross 81st with 171 points, and Ashton Flick 89th with 165 points.

The contest consisted of a 50 question exam, two 25 question slide stations, and two halter classes to place.

“I felt nervous going into the competition,” said senior, Abigayle Sexton. “But it was easier than past competitions, and I was pretty confident on my answers.”

“I was slightly nervous, but confident in my knowledge,” junior, Mary Ross said.

“Although I was assertive in my answers, I knew I could’ve done better,” Ross said.

“I felt okay after the competition, I just knew that I had second guessed myself a lot.” said senior, Annabella Autry.

“The whole thing was an amazing experience,” Autry said.

“My favorite part was having fun with my hippology family,” said Sexton.

“Just getting to go to a state fair, and getting to hang with my hippology girls was great,” Ross said.

Chatham will resume formal practices and contests next semester.