Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

CHS’s favorite classes

Everyone has a favorite class to take or teach in school.

“My favorite class is band, because I have the most fun in that class,” said Vik Ince, freshman. “I just really enjoy playing music, and I would recommend this to others.

“I also like math and science. I just really like the subjects,  and I think they’re interesting,” said Ince.

Several students prefer the math and science classes.

“I would say Ms. Reed’s math class is my favorite. I like the way she teaches, and I always finish my work early so I get to hang out with my friends,” said Karlee Sims, a freshman. “I would also definitely recommend this class to other students.”

“Science class with Mr. Gary Poindexter is probably my other favorite because he makes me chuckle,” said Sims.

Teachers also have their preferences on what classes they like to teach the most and what classes they think students like.

“The best subject to teach depends on interests and skill set.

Common best subjects to teach include English language and literature; mathematics; science; social studies; foreign languages; arts and music; physical education and sports; computer science and technology; health and wellness; and career and technical education,” said the Tutor Resource.

“I teach English 12, creative writing, and Journalism I and II. I like all of them because they’re so different, and there is something new every day,” said Mrs. J. Bishop, an English teacher. “In high school, I would have loved both journalism and creative writing, but I also enjoyed all my English classes and anything to do with reading and writing.”

“It’s hard to say which of my classes students are more drawn to; each student is drawn to a different class because of their unique personalities and because they are often put into the class because we don’t have a wide range of electives,” said Bishop “Students who choose creative writing tend to be more creative and artsy and like to write.

“Journalism students also like the news and politics. They also often like sports and are often interested in  school functions.” said Bishop “Everyone must take English 12 so they have no choice.”

In a recent study, 34% or 85 of their respondents said social studies was their favorite subject. Eighteen percent or 46 voters said they liked math the most, English and science were tied with 36 votes or 14%. Eight percent or 20 people chose gym, music/art was given 17 votes or seven percent, and foreign language received nine votes or four percent favor,” according to Long Island Business News.

A survey conducted by Gallup in 2002 asking various students what subject in school they find most valuable, math and English took first and second place with 34% of votes for math and 24% of votes for English.

When the survey was re-conducted in 2013 math and English were still in the top spots, while science went from 4% in 2002 to 12% of votes overtaking history which was at seven percent of votes in 2002, and eight percent in 2013.