Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

College and Career Plans

Choosing a career is exciting.

College and career plans are on the minds of many high school students.

“I plan to go to college right after high school,” Madison Kilgore, freshman, said. “I just want to get it done and over with so I won’t have to worry about it later.”

“I want to wait a few years before I attend college. I’m not one hundred percent what I want to do so I’m going to need a few years,” Dixie Campbell, sophomore, said.

“I want to wait a while; I want to experience working and seeing if I really want to go to college,” Harlie Brooks, sophomore, said.

“I want to go to college straight out of high school. I can get a scholarship easier that way,” Kennedy Hanks, junior, said.

Some students are dead set on a career, while some are not so sure about what they want to do.

It can be hard to think of a long term career

“I want to pursue medical sciences, specifically nursing,” Kilgore said, “I love helping people and the community.”

“I haven’t really made a solid decision yet, but I’m considering becoming a therapist,” Campbell said, “I want to help people and make people feel listened to. I know what it feels like to be ignored so I want to help people not feel like that.”

“I want to be a professional farmer,” Brooks said, “It sounds like a fulfilling life.”

“I want to be an ultrasound technician,” Hanks said, “I specifically want to go into women’s care because there’s not enough people doing it.”

College choices are another hot topic amongst high schoolers.

“I want to go to the University of Tennessee,” Kilgore said, “Tennessee has been my dream college since I was a little kid. I’ve always loved going to Tennessee with my dad, and it’s just all good memories for me.”

“Maybe the University of Lynchburg or Central Virginia Community College,” said Campbell, “I just feel like they are good colleges and they are close to home.”

“DCC is the college I’m considering at this point in time,” said Brooks, “It’s affordable.”

“I’ll either do one of the two year programs at SOVAH or Radford,” said Hanks, “I’d just rather do a two year program than a twelve year.”

Many careers require certain degrees or certifications.

degree

“I plan to study nursing and get an associates degree in nursing (ADN), a bachelors of science in nursing (BSN), or an accelerated bachelors of science in nursing (ABSN), said Kilgore.

“I will get a bachelors in psychology,” said Campbell.

“I’m going to study for a diagnostic sonography  technician degree,” said Hanks.