Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Work Ethic in Students

Student work ethic varies; some surpass expectations, while others do the bare minimum, and others in between.

”Some students have a great work ethic, but certainly not all do,”  personal finance teacher Mr. Adam Tate said, “It is difficult for some to maintain focus and work over an extended time.”

Technology such as chromebooks and cell phones, could be a factor of students doing poorly on their work, it can cause distractions in class and can cause students to lose focus.

”There are so many distractions these days , such as phones, students doing things on the chromebooks, such as watching youtube and playing games,” Mrs. Kimberly Dooley, history teacher,  said.

Sometimes work ethic is related to age or maturity.

“My upperclassmen, like seniors, tend to have a better work ethic mainly due to graduation coming up and the urge to succeed,” Mr. Williams, science department, said.

“Even though upperclassmen do better with their work, some still manage to create bad habits throughout high school and are sometimes stubborn when it comes to their way of thinking,” Mrs. Hall, English department, said.

Peer pressure can also impact work ethic.

Students are likely to do better or worse when they are around their peers, ” Tate said. “Freshmen tend to mimic the behavior of seniors and juniors , like following the rules or not following the rules and getting away with it.”