Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Cannabis/Marijuana Use in Teens

Many teens resort to marijuana use for anxiety and also to stray from the real world.

There can be better alternatives to substance abuse.

“I believe there should be better ways to control usage and distribution. Just because [people] have access 24/7 doesn’t mean use should use it 24/7.  Know when and where it’s more acceptable such as home and nonpublic areas,” Ms. Reid, mathematics department, said. 

“Early use can lead to dependency upon the substance,” Mrs. Mary East, school nurse, said. “Teen use of marijuana can also sometimes be a gateway to more dangerous substances with more life-changing and threatening side-affects. Good social group involvement, being an active member in a sports team, and social activities can be a great alternative to the use of cannabis.”

“Other medications, depending on your reasoning for marijuana use, can be a better alternative than consuming marijuana,” Coach Chase Hall, physical education department, said.

“[I have heard] marijuana/cannabis use can be used reasonably for medical and physical therapy patients,” Eli Goins, senior, said.

“Depending on the reason for use of marijuana, counseling and anxiety meds which are monitored can be a much better alternative,” Ms. Stafford, biology teacher, said.

“Exercise can be a great way to keep the mind occupied and keep away from substance abuse which I believe has no true benefits,” Ms. Maxey, librarian, said.

“Everyone should do research and understand a topic before giving input on how they may feel about it,” Coach Marcus Clements, special education teacher and wrestling coach, said.

Many believe teens should stay away from use of marijuana and find better alternatives such as medications, exercise, and other sources which may occupy the mind.