Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Turkey or Ham?

Students and faculty often have a strong preference for either ham or turkey for Christmas.

“Americans consume about 22 million turkeys on Christmas and 318 million pounds during the holiday season,” Google said.

“I like ham better; it’s juicier and just tastes a lot better than turkey,” Dixie Campbell, sophomore, said.

“Turkey is best; it goes better on sandwiches, and ham is just too sweet,” Harlie Brooks, sophomore, said.

“I have ham because I don’t like turkey,” Ashley Gonzalez, sophomore, said.

“Ham is better; it’s wetter and has more flavor,” said Joel Steward, sophomore, said.

“I have neither ham nor turkey but lamb,” Roger Maxfield, history teacher, said. “It’s a Greek thing.”

Some people lean towards one option because of what is traditional for Christmas.

“I like ham, because turkey is for Thanksgiving and ham is for Christmas,” Mary East, school nurse, said.

“Ham: it’s just more Christmassy,” Naomi Davis, sophomore, said.

“I prefer ham; turkey is dry and not that interesting in flavor,” Janet Bishop, English teacher, said. “Plus I just ate turkey for Thanksgiving. We always get a petite boneless smoked ham from Surry county, VA,” Bishop said. “We eat it on biscuits, and it’s our favorite on Christmas morning.