Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

High School Students Work after School

Students check out of school and check into their after-school jobs.

Some have a purpose; some are simply chasing paychecks to pay the endless bills.

“I started working at McDonald’s in the summer of 2023,” Brennen Oakes, junior, said.  “The reason I started working in the first place was because I needed money. I chose McDonald’s because their pay was good for the amount of work that was required.

“I would not recommend working there because it is not a good work environment,” Oakes said. “Now that I work at Food Lion, I get to socialize with coworkers and customers, so I enjoy working much more. I’d say the best part of my job is my coworkers and the paychecks,” he said.

“I got my first job in November of this year at The Learning Tree,” Jordyn Burgess, senior, said. I decided to get a job there because my mom already worked there, so it seemed like an easy option, and I needed the money to buy more calico critters.”

“I would recommend working there [at The Learning Tree]; it is a great place, and my favorite part of working is the kids and being able to spend time with them. I do not enjoy working; I’d rather be at home and in bed,” Burgess said.

“I started working at McDonald’s when I turned sixteen, and the reason why I started working was because I needed money for my car insurance ” Brooklyn Johnson, senior, said.

“It was not the best job because management acted like children, and I was being underpaid for the amount of work they expected of me. I do enjoy working, but I need to feel appreciated and not feel like my work isn’t going unnoticed. Now I work at Outback, and my favorite part of the job would be my coworkers and the environment,” Johnson said.