Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Gallbladder Surgery

Gallbladder removal at the age of fifteen was not easy.

My doctors told me that needed to remove my gallbladder to not be in pain anymore.

My family drove me to Roanoke Memorial Children’s hospital for my procedure on Nov. 21.

I arrived at the hospital at 12 p.m., and I had to sign in to get registered for my surgery.

Ten minutes later, they called me back to prepare me for my surgery .

In the surgical room they gave me anesthesia and started my surgery.  My surgery lasted four hours although it was only supposed to last one because I had many more gallstones than they anticipated.

When I woke up, I was sleepy, sore and struggled to  move or walk. I was in the hospital for two days.

My mother and great-grandmother took turns spending the night and helping me at the hospital.

I could only eat popsicles, Jello, and soup, and I was able to drink water and Gatorade. I was able to walk the next day on Nov. 22, and then I went home November 23.

I wore pajama pants and a long sleeve to keep myself comfortable. I took Ibuprofen and Tylenol to manage the pain. My sisters, niece, and grandma stayed with me, cooked for me, and helped me move around.

I started back wearing regular clothes a week after surgery,  and I went back to eating regular food .

I went to the doctor on December 7 to be cleared. I returned to school December 8. Since my surgery, I feel better. I still have moments of soreness, but overall I am glad I got this procedure done in order to live a happier and more comfortable lifestyle.