Pros of Community College

Community college as an option has become more popular than a four year college option because of six reasons:

1. Lower Tuition- The primary reason students attend community college is for the financial advantage. Many junior colleges cost less than two thousand dollars each semester to attend full time. Community college gives students the chance to prepare for the financial demands of a four year university if they plan on transferring because they save while attending community college.
  2. Flexible Schedule – Community college offers the student the opportunity to work while attending school. Typically, more night classes are offered than other universities and so more schedule options.
  3. Smaller Classes- The class size is surprising to most students because the tuition is so reasonable. While classes aren’t as small as those of a leading private university, many have as few as twenty students. In a smaller class, professors have the opportunity to learn more about their students. Likewise, students will find their teachers more accessible and can get assistance when they need it.
  4. Easier to Transition to Real World- Countless numbers of college freshman transfer out after their first year of studies. Many return; some don’t. Unfortunately, many of these students felt displaced and found that their expectations were not met by the university they attended. Attending community school gives students the opportunity to earn college credit while taking the time to select the four year institution that is right for them. Because there is little financial investment, most students are deterred from dropping their studies altogether.
  5. Transfer Agreements-  Enrolling in a community college doesn’t have to be a student’s final destination. Many two-year schools offer admissions agreements with public colleges that allow qualified students to transfer their credits toward earning a bachelor’s degree. According to National Student Clearinghouse Research Center data, 29 percent of community college students who started in fall of 2011 transferred to a four-year institution within six years.
  6. Online Class Options- Certain community colleges have expanded online offerings to entice more students. This includes training professors to be available at odd hours. The National Center for Education Statistics reports that two-thirds of community college students were enrolled in online classes in fall 2017. These credits can potentially be used toward a four-year degree.