Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

PCS’s 2023 flu clinic

Students and faculty are encouraged to get their flu shots in October.

Pittsylvania County School’s flu vaccines will be offered in a drive-thru format this year from 3:30 p.m.-6 p.m. at every middle school location.

This is a change from previous years when the shots were offered to students and staff during the school day and was caused by one main reason.

“A smaller number of participants in the school are signing up for the vaccine,” said Nurse Mary East when asked what caused this change. “The percentage of students getting a flu vaccine has definitely decreased; I would say Covid took focus off of the flu for a few years,” said East.

The dates for each school are Chatham Middle School on Tues., Oct. 17;  one at Dan River Middle School on Wed., Oct. 18; Gretna Middle School on Tues., Oct. 24, and Tunstall Middle Wed., Oct. 25, at Tunstall Middle school.

Recipients are required to bring completed forms, including insurance information; demographics, and signing the consent for vaccine administration.

There are nine different flu vaccines available for the 2023-2024 flu season. Some flu vaccines may be better options for certain people such as older adults and those with life threatening egg allergies.

The flu vaccine is usually about 40-60% effective with last year’s being 54% effective.

“The best time to get your flu vaccine is before the end of October since flu season is typically during fall and winter with activity peaking from December to February,” according to Good RxHealth.

Doctors recommend getting the flu shot if people are living with an infant under the age of six months since they cannot get the vaccine,” said the Food and Drug Administration.

The drive-thru clinics have caused some concern.

“I’m kind of mad about the change, but I’m still gonna get the shot,” said Mykaela Logan, freshman.  “It’s inconvenient because I have to leave the house again after school, and other people think it’s annoying too.”

“I think the change is a bit excessive because going to a different school is going to cost a lot of extra gas money,” said Dynashia Epps, freshman. “I’ve also heard others complain. I think it will affect the number of students getting the flu shot, probably negatively; nobody wants to have to go to a different school after hours to take their flu shot,” said Epps.

“I wish it was still offered during the school day,” said East. “”I do not think that this will help with the percent of students getting their shot.”

This change also creates a concern with how many students are actually going to be getting their shot.

“I do think it will affect the amount of people who get shots because who’s going want to leave their house again just to get a shot,” said Logan.

As another option, the health departments in Chatham and Danville offer immunization appointments four days a week between the two sites.

Make an appointment with the Danville Health Department by calling  (434)766-928. Make an appointment with the Pittsylvania County health department by calling (434)433-3520.