Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Thanksgiving Traditions

Students and their families are getting prepared for their big Thanksgiving meal.

One of the best part of Thanksgiving is having friends and family make memories and share wonderful food.

“My family and I celebrate Thanksgiving every year; we stay home and make a big meal together,” Isabel Wyatt, sophomore, said.”For Thanksgiving, my family and I  cook up something to bring to my Grandma’s house to eat,” Alayna Petty, sophomore, said.

“My family celebrates at my house in Danville because we have a table big enough to fit them all,” Mrs. Mandy Riley, English department, said. “We are celebrating on a Friday this year because my niece has to work. We will watch football, play Rook, and do an ornament exchange.

“Every year, one child chooses a fast food dish; this year, my son chose chicken tenders from Bojangle’s,” Riley said.

The Thanksgiving meal is one of the most essential parts of celebrating Thanksgiving. Some students enjoy helping cook the meal with their families.

“My mom and my husband’s mom do all the cooking for Thanksgiving,”  Ms. Reid, the math department, said. “We usually stay at home, but we sometimes drive up to Mom’s in West Virginia. This year we are having dinner at my house.”

“Everybody who comes to my house during Thanksgiving brings one dish,” Mrs. Deborah Maxey, librarian, said. “We have a big dining room table. My son will come home from New Hampshire, and my family will visit from Montana. I really enjoy celebrating Thanksgiving and getting to see my family,” Maxey said.

Lots of families don’t live close to one another so they enjoy getting to see their family members for the holidays.

“My daughters live so far away that it is not practical for them to come home for Thanksgiving. However, my mom, and my husband’s family, all come to our house,” Mrs. Janet Bishop, English department, said. “Because my ankle is still an issue, they are bringing food, and I ordered a big, smoked turkey and smoked mac and cheese from County Smoak in Lynchburg. I will also go to a Friendsgiving event, which I’m looking forward to because I love seeing and sharing time with my friends.”