Student Concerns About The Science SOL

Students are concerned about the science SOL because of it’s scheduled much earlier than usual.

Typically, the science SOL is the last one; this semester it is first. They wish they could be given more time in order to prepare for the upcoming SOL. Teachers are concerned because of worries that they will not be able to cover the material.

“I think that students should be given more time to review for the SOL, so that we can be ready for it,” said freshman Kamaiya Smith.

“I don’t think it’s right for us to take it early since we haven’t covered all of the topics,” said freshman Destiney White.

“I would like for the science SOL to be last because it makes it difficult for my students to have to take the SOL early,” Said Mr. Zane Williams, science teacher.

There are a lot of students who feel that it is unfair for them to take the SOL early.

“I think it is a little unfair since my teacher hasn’t finished covering all of the topics for the SOL,” said Smith.

“I don’t think it’s fair because my class hasn’t finished all of our notes about some of the topics on the SOL,” said White.

“I think it’s a disadvantage since I can’t cover everything on time, but I don’t think it’s unfair,” said Mr. Williams.

Others feel it’s fair since they have had enough time for them to be prepared for the SOL.

“I think it’s somewhat fair for students since we know beforehand when our SOL is, so we can prepare more before it,” said Smith.

There are conflicting views about why the testing dates are different this year.

“I think we are taking the SOL early because we don’t have a lot of time for the SOLs in our other subjects,” said White.

“For me it’s a natural rotation, since the SOLs are on different dates every year,” said Mr. Williams.

Others don’t have a clue about why they have to take the SOL early. “I don’t really have an idea as to why we are taking it early,” Said Smith.

SOL’s are taken every year in order to evaluate what students have learned.