Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Teachers’ Favorite Date Night Restaurants

The Financial Side

CHS teachers love going out to dinner with their spouses, but they do consider the financial aspect of an evening out.

“When we go to Magnum Point at Smith Mountain Lake, we usually spend around $30,” said Mrs. Rachel Corwin, English department. “Magnum Point is similar in menu to Applebee’s. We do not set aside money in order to go out to eat. We like to go about once a week.”

“At Outback, when it is just the two of us, we usually spend about $70-$75,” said Mrs. Erin Hall, English department. “We do not budget for it, even though it is expensive. We usually go out at least four times a year.”

Outback is generally the most expensive option locally.

“For the two of us when we go to either Outback, Applebee’s, or Los Tres, we spend at least $50,” said Mrs. Kimberly Dooley. “Out of all of them, Outback is probably the most expensive. We do not have a set budget for eating out. We only go out maybe once or twice a month.”

Mr. and Mrs. Neal Dooley enjoy an evening out together at local restaurants. Photo credit: Kimberly Dooley.

Even though Corwin and Mr. Gary Poindexter, science department, go out to different places, they roughly spend the same amount of money.

“At Cracker Barrel, my wife and I spend approximately $30,” said Poindexter. “Even though we have not gone since the pandemic, we do not really budget because we usually have the money for eating out.”

It has been about three years since Poindexter or Mrs. Wendy Kapp, English department, went out to dinner with their spouses.

“We have not gone out to eat in a few years, but when we did, we spent about $50-$75 at JT’s, a popular restaurant on Main Street, Chatham,” said Kapp. “Normally, we do not budget money to go out. When we used to go to dinner, we would go about once every two or three months.”

“We do budget for our meals out,” said Mrs. Janet Bishop, English department. “We often eat a seafood meal at Longfin Grill in Meadows of Dan which is actually a food truck. Amazing, incredible food. We spend about $40 for a great meal. We offset that expensive meal by eating at the Floyd Country Store in Floyd, VA; that meal is usually about $25 for the two of us. So we eat out about twice each weekend, but we plan for it and use cash.”