Cavalier Chronicles

The Student News Site of Chatham High School

Cavalier Chronicles

Cavalier Chronicles

Chatham Lockdown Policy

Students are often instructed to huddle in a corner during a lockdown.

Lockdown policies changed the 2023-2024 school year.

This policy is designed to protect staff and students within the school building in case of an emergency or threat.

The new policy includes an unannounced lockdown drill each month in the school year using the word Lockdown instead of  Code Red.

Pittsylvania County Schools have spent nearly $280,000 in the past year on security upgrades such as an increase in interior and exterior security cameras, handheld metal detectors, and keyless card access locks.

An estimated 94% of staff and students agree that the lockdown policy should be improved.

“I think it’s nice that we have something in case of an emergency, but I don’t think it’s realistic for students to have a minimalized reaction to a threat,” said Shane Mays, junior. “There are going to be several different reactions to that particular situation; you can’t expect everyone to just huddle in a corner.”

“I believe it is better to have this policy than to have nothing; however, I feel like teachers should be given more freedom during an emergency,” said a staff member.

“Usually the threat is going to be from a previous or current student so it isn’t beneficial to continue the same policy every year, it isn’t safe because the perpetrator knows where the students are hiding,” said Austin Bradley, a freshman.

Below is a copy of the new policy.